CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, September 16

Favourite!

May I present to you, my 'top of the list' favourite dish, soto; or chicken soup for that matter.

This was prepared even before I got married. Now that my brother is abroad, (who, come weekend, loves to 'order' soto from me) soto will only be prepared as and when I like. The last I prepared for one was last month when my parents came by.

* To make chicken broth, boil chicken breasts and carcass in a pot of water, together with cinnamon and one cube chicken stock.

*In a separate pot, place the usual spices (cloves,cinnamon etc.) into hot oil. Then add in shallots,onion,ginger,garlic (blended), and slightly crushed lemon grass and galanghal (lengkuas) . Lastly, add crushed fennel and coriander (jintan manis,jintan putih & ketumbar). Saute for few minutes.

*Add the prepared chicken stock and extra water into the mixture, one 'sup bunjut' and salt and pepper to taste. Let it simmer.

*To go with the soup, fry sliced potatoes (fries-like). I don't like 'begedil' so I opt for fried potatoes. Also fry glass noodles (suhun).

* To prepare soto, place shredded chicken breasts on top of few cubes of nasi himpit, potato fries and suhun.Garnish with coriander leaves and fried shallots. Pour the hot soup. Trust me, heavenly!

For chicken soup, I have not the patience to prepare chicken stock. So I just fry the spices and blended stuff, add chicken and lastly water. I love chicken soup. Last week, I had three healthful bowls of chicken soup in between berbuka and midnight. Insatiable indeed.

I don't mean to sound condescending, but I love my own-made soup/soto. I am proud to say that my Mum loves my soto/soup much!

6 comments:

Love Life Completely said...

sedapnya!!! me want some!

Ein said...

boleh boleh, come lah here :)nanti nak try buat scones!

adina said...

Oh, I LOVE SOTO as well! Especially my Paklong's wife punye. I think kan, since this one originally comes from Johor, org2 Johor buat paling sedap.

For the kuah kan, Johoreans slalu letak serbuk kurma jugak. The one u can buy if u wanna masak kurma. And add a bit of santan. Just a bit, not too much. Haaaaihhhh, heaven!

Or there's this special serbuk rempah soto yg jual kat Johor. Yg tuh pun heaven!

Omg, tak sabar nak raya!! Soto makanan ruji di pagi raya :) :)

Ein said...

a ah, johor punye soup dia more rempah2 and murky kan, sdap gak. nanti we have soto gathering aah ;)

adina said...

That wud be heeeeeeeeaven!!!! :-D

Tapai mesti ada belly lagi besar ahh ni lepas kahwin... asyik makan je!! I wanna marry u too, Ein!!! :P

Ein said...

haha, even my belly pun besar!! makan je keje. jom, nanti we plan ya :)